Monday, April 29, 2013

Top Hand Royalties

I have been having mixed feelings on going for top hand royalties lately.  I started to think that they might be fairly easy to get, so I began to set my hands so I had a starting top hand royalty card on top covered by a higher card in the middle.  For example, starting with three cards to the flush on bottom, Q in the middle, and a 9 on top.  I was hoping for any card above a 9 to go in the middle and cards below a 9 on the top, while placing any card matching my suit in the back hand there.  Obviously, your ideal situation is to pair the Q early, followed by the 9 and then hit your flush, bigger pair than QQ or two pair.

I have had very mixed results with this strategy, and am leaning toward not going for that royalty pair on top. The reality is it doesnt hit nearly often enough, and if the 9 comes early, you cant risk putting it on top at that point.  All you have done is weaken your middle hand and eliminated the payoff of risking the 9 on top.  By placing the Q9 in the middle and leaving the top empty, you have given yourself two shots at decent pairs in the middle hand.  If either hits, you can go for a strong high card top or small pair.  Long term, I think this is a much stronger approach as you are positioning yourself to win the top and middle, while giving yourself a shot at a decent royalty on bottom.

This can also apply to other starting hands such as trips with two mid to high cards, high pair with a small card in back and two middle cards, etc.  I think the best card to start auto placing on top is 4 or lower.  Feel free to post comments on this one.  Would be interested in others' feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment