Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Open Face Strategy

Welcome to my Open Face Chinese Poker strategy blog. Although this game is very new to the poker community still, I have been playing quite a bit with a variety of players.  Also, I recently released an iPhone app in the apple store.  Now that it is easy for everyone to play with other players from around the world, the strategy opinions should develop rather quickly. I will be updating this blog daily as well, so check back often for the latest Open Face Strategy discussions.

I will start today by talking about the differences between heads up games and multi-player games.  In general, you need to play more conservatively in multiplayer games.  Rangering (the circle of players I play with has named risky play for royalties in the top and middle hands) against multiple opponents can be very costly if you missed your hand.  When playing heads up, it is easier to recover from failed risky plays because you are only losing 6 points (plus royalties) against one person.

For example, starting card of Js, Jh, Ah, 5h, 8c
In a heads up match, I would be more likely to go for the flush and split up the pair of JJ.  So my back  starting hand would be Ah, Jh, 5h.
Middle starting hand: 8c
Top starting hand: Js
I chose to put the Js on the top because I already have one out and am unlikely to pair up, so I have a decent high card up top to start the hand with a better chance to pair in the middle.

In a multi-player game, especially 4 handed, I would set my hand like this.
Back hand: Ah, Jh, Js
Middle hand: 8c
Top hand: 5h
Playing the pair with a higher card in the back to start gives you a safe play with the possibility to improve to trips, two pair, or a boat.  You are more likely to win overall against 3 other opponents, although unless you hit your boat, you won't bet winning a lot that hand.

Good luck!

1 comment: