Thursday, January 31, 2013

Top hand play

Before I continue with hand setting posts, I have to take a break to talk about top hand play. I have seen so many people make terrible mistakes playing their top hands over the weekend, and I can't stand it any longer.

Rule #1) do not put a non-royalty pair up top before you have it covered in the middle.

I have seen so many people pair up on top with 22,33,44, or 55 before they anything to cover it in the back and middle hands. What makes this play so terrible is that you are risking a miss set without getting any royalty points in return.  I understand trying to put 66 or better up top in order to get a royalty, or even QQ if you are playing fantasy land, but there is almost never a reason to pair the top hand before the middle hand without a royalty possibility.

Rule #2) do not risk a foul in the top hand when you have already made a royalty in the back hand.

I had an opponent the other day who made a full house in the back after only seven cards.  He had Jd in the middle and 4s on top.  His next pull was a 4c and he paired the top hand.  He never paired the middle and fouled his hand with a potential 6 pt royalty in the back.  Once you have made a royalty in the back hand, make sure you do not risk a miss set or you are throwing away points in this game.

Ok, I just had to get that out.  Next post will get back to starting cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment